Posted on April 03 2020
It's all about your state of mind #socialdistancing #manifestingpositivity
1 Million Coronavirus cases have been reported worldwide, ~240,000 of which are in the US. You can keep track of the count in real-time thanks to this dashboard created by Johns Hopkins University.
- Higher percentage of middle-aged Coronavirus deaths in the South compared to other parts of the country. According to Tricia Neuman, SVP at Kaiser Family Foundation, this is “Due to high rates of conditions like lung disease and heart disease and obesity, the people living in these states are at risk if they get the virus”.
- Since we’ll likely stay at home for a few more weeks if not months, HBO is offering free streaming for some of their content and Amazon is hosting a free virtual SXSW film festival for 10 days. If that’s not enough, here are the upcoming Netflix releases. We’re anxiously waiting for Terrace House: Tokyo 2019-2020 Part 3.
IN BUSINESS / ECONOMY
- It’s hard to accept, but we are entering a recession. For those of you who didn’t experience 2008/9 as an adult or maybe didn’t feel the impacts as much, here’s a great summary of what a recession is and what to expect.
- Pretty much all companies, corporations and small businesses alike, are suffering terribly from the economic impacts of COVID-19. Our startup darlings, including Everlane and Ziprecruiter, are no exception with thousands of layoffs. The most disappointing handling of the situation is Bird, who let go of ~400 people in two minutes via Zoom. Sure, they may have wanted to do it quickly so rumors and fear wouldn’t spread, but c’mon there has to be a more humane way of handling this.
IN POLITICS / GOVERNMENT
- There was so much momentum around the 2020 election, but it seems like Coronavirus is creating space for potential 2024 candidates to shine. Here are the governors making a name for themselves.
- If you know any Americans abroad who are considering coming home, it might be time to make a decision. State Department urges Americans to come home before flights, airspace, and/or borders are shut down.
- Despite the growing risk in the South and the release of passengers on COVID-19 infected cruise ships at Ft. Lauderdale, Florida’s stay-at-home ordinance still allows religious gatherings to continue. We hope some of the religious centers learn from the Washington choir rehearsal that left 45 attendees infected and 2 dead.
JUST FOR YOU
- Personal Finances – If you’re anything like me, the economic uncertainty is making you feel anxious. Take a breath and then take action. Here’s some helpful guidance on how to get your finances in order and create a plan in case things get really bad.
- Leadership – These are stressful times and if you lead one person or an entire division, it’s important to be a stress absorber. Beyond that, here are 4 Behaviors That Help Leaders Manage a Crisis.
- Fashion – Here’s some inspiration to upgrade your WFH wardrobe, likely comprised of pajama bottoms and Zoom appropriate tops.